In-brief updates of UK theme park stories reaching our news desk.
13 January 2020
- Drayton Manor held an invitation-only auction on site on Sunday, which saw various items from the former Pirate Adventure dark ride sold off. A number of other items including ride parts were also auctioned.
7 January 2020
- The company behind the proposed London Resort theme park in Kent has recorded debts of £55 million since its incorporation in 2011, government documents show | Evening Standard
10 September 2019
- The Valhalla ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach has been named Best Water Ride at this year’s Golden Ticket Awards for the fifth time in a row.
30 July 2019
- Merlin Entertainments chief executive Nick Varney has been named as the 10th highest-paid European CEO in the travel and hospitality industry | CEOWorld Magazine
23 July 2019
- Flamingo Land’s 10-looping ‘Inversion’ rollercoaster received planning permission from Ryedale District Council last week.
29 June 2019
- Alton Towers today reopened the Wicker Man rollercoaster after eight days of closure to allow work on the ride’s lift hill.
23 June 2019
- Attractions company Paragon Entertainment, the firm that designed Blackpool Pleasure Beach’s Wallace & Gromit ride, is to go into administration.
10 March 2019
- Merlin Entertainments chief executive Nick Varney has confirmed an increase in UK attraction bookings so far this year. He told the Financial Times: “The benefit for us of a weak pound is that Brits stay at home and foreigners come.”
23 February 2019
- A Zamperla Disk’O ride is being erected at the M&Ds theme park in Scotland, which will a new addition to the park for 2019.
20 February 2019
- Dreamland Margate will remove its £5 admission charge between 6 April and 24 May this year.
- Pleasurewood Hills has announced that the Rattlesnake rollercoaster will re-open this season.
15 February 2019
- Alton Towers has removed the Nemesis Sub-Terra and Twirling Toadstool rides from its website listings. The park has confirmed that both rides will not operate this season, while confirming their longer-term futures.
13 February 2019
- Alton Towers is auctioning off 37 items from the former Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ride. Proceeds from the sale will be split between the Merlin’s Magic Wand and the Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s charities. Link: eBay
6 February 2019
- Initial plans for the Flamingo Land Coast project in Scarborough have been submitted to the local authorities. The concept includes a rollercoaster and 60-metre drop tower. Read more at BBC News.
23 January 2019
- Holders of the Premium Merlin Annual Pass will not be exempt from the £7.50 (£5 in advance) admission charge for the Alton Towers Dungeon, opening on 23 March.
21 January 2019
- Alton Towers’ on-the-day admission price has increased by £1 to £56 for the 2019 season.