In-brief updates of UK theme park stories reaching our news desk.
9 September 2018
- Blackpool Pleasure Beach’s Valhalla has won Best Water Ride at the Golden Ticket Awards 2018, held by US publication Amusement Today.
- The Big Top scare maze will not return for this year’s Fright Nights events at Thorpe Park. However, a number of its former characters will appear in a Big Top: Showtime scare area, which will be located inside the park’s welcome dome.
2 September 2018
- Virtual reality headsets are partially back in use on Alton Towers’ Galactica rollercoaster, following a period of this week where they were withdrawn to boost the ride’s capacity. Each of the ride’s trains are currently being segregated between VR and non-VR options.
6 August 2018
- Bidding on the ‘Mousey’ car from Blackpool Pleasure Beach’s dismantled Wild Mouse rollercoaster finished at £4,800.
2 August 2018
- Shares in Merlin Entertainments closed down 3.6% today following an announcement of a 6.5% fall in profits for the first half of this year. The company however reported that revenue from its theme park operations had increased by almost 10% in the same period, noting a “continued recovery” at Alton Towers.
30 June 2018
- Merlin Entertainments has submitted a UK trademark application for ‘Stargazing Pods’.
7 May 2018
- Flamingo Land has submitted a planning permission application to build a £30 million resort on the banks of Loch Lomond in Scotland. Daily Record
23 January 2018
- Thorpe Park will open Derren Brown’s Ghost Train and other “actor-led” attractions at midday during the 2018 season.
- The Loggers Leap flume ride will also remain closed throughout this year.
13 January 2018
- Drayton Manor has removed its cable car ride, including all supports.
7 January 2018
- Alton Towers has launched a £55 season pass for the 2018 season. It will allow early ride time, but excludes peak summer weekends, Scarefest, Fireworks and discounts on purchases.
4 December 2017
- Thorpe Park has submitted a planning application to re-theme its X enclosed rollercoaster ride. Plans depict a watch tower and chained-wire fencing to the ride’s exterior, with no changes to the ride hardware planned.
26 November 2017
- Merlin Entertainments faces demotion from the FTSE 100 share index when the London Stock Exchange listings are reshuffled following this Tuesday’s closing share prices.
17 November 2017
- Alton Towers will be closed for 27 term-time weekdays during the 2018 season. Closed days are predominantly Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays in September and October.
16 July 2017
- Car parking at Thorpe Park has increased to £7 per day.
6 January 2017
- Dreamland Margate has been given permission to borrow up to £10 million from an offshore hedge-fund. BBC News